Photograph of the ‘Long Walk, St Andrews’ in snow in 1913. This image is from the papers of the Botany Department of the University of St Andrews which used to be based at the Bute building. The collection includes papers relating to the history of the University’s Botanic Gardens (ms38491/1).
The first Botanic Garden in St Andrews dates from 1889 when Dr John Wilson laid out beds of plants for teaching and research purposes, in a walled garden at St Mary’s College in South Street. This path runs parallel to the Bute building, leading to St Mary’s Quadrangle from Queens Terrace. The garden moved to their current location on the Canongate in the 1960s.